Saturday, January 11, 2014

Free-thought Spotlight on izombiheartzoey

Tell me about yourself?
My name is izombiheartzoey. I am an atheist but more importantly I am a philosopher. I don’t think the word describes anything other my position that the claim that God’s existence. I grew up in the south suburbs of Chicago and entered the Navy in high school. I was always a wise-ass and a critical thinker. After was honorably discharged from the military I began working through community college. During my freshman, missing the community I had in the Navy, began seeking out secular groups in the surrounding suburbs. I traveled out to 4 groups in a 45 minute radius of where I live and found the driving to be taxing. As I began my Bachelors in Social Work I decided to start on working on organizing a group in the south suburbs. I am currently in a social work master’s program and I have been interning as a Faith Based Community Organizer for the last year and a half.

Did you always know you were an atheist?  What was that process like?

More or less. I remember growing up and attending several churches when I was growing up. I don’t have the best memory of what was happening. Suddenly Sunday mornings someone was waking me up to go to some building where people sung songs that gave me headaches, and the symbolism was scary.  Due to my trouble making nature I spent most of my time during Sunday school in time out in a corner thinking about hell. Although God was never a real concept for me, when I was a child hell was a very real and scary concept.

Did you grow up in a religious family? How did they take the news that you think differently? 

It wasn't that big of a deal. I didn't get kicked out of the home or disowned like some of the horror stories I have heard about. I was pretty clear about where I stand. I just kind told people and they expressed their dissatisfaction and things moved on. 

How do you describe what you think about the meaning in world to others? What are your personal and social values? How have they developed?

That’s a pretty big question. I usually talk about the world through philosophy. I have studied Nietzsche and several other materialist/skeptical/ and secular perspectives. I’ve also began working on a blog to flesh out some of my philosophical thoughts (and talk about horrormovies).  I do find it challenging to talk about personal values, but I think at a certain level most people’s initial stated values are superficial. Even religious folk have to do some introspective digging to find clarity about their values. I think where I differ from most atheist that I have met is that I am an anarcho-syndicalist. What the hell is that (you are probably asking)? Essentially what it means is that I think that the problems of our current political and economic system (AKA capitalism and democracy) are fundamentally flawed and produce oppression. I think that on a large scale we need an intentional refocus on the people that live in this world and not the crap they buy. I don’t think this can be accomplished with the world as it. Something has to change. In other word, anarcho-syndicalism is essentially communism without the dogmatic on political parties. 

What do you think about religion?

I think religion is a useful tool to move people into the political arena to make social change.  There are a lot of religious folks in the world, and most have professed values to work towards the alleviation of human suffering and oppression. I feel this is the common ground where I can work with religious folk to create a better world.  

Has anyone tried to convert you? How did that make you feel? How did you respond?

I have a couple friends who periodically attempt to pressure me to go to church with them.  But they have learned to stop. When I am approached by someone who asks me to attend church with them, and keeps pressuring me, put return the pressure and ask them why they feel it’s OK to disrespect my perspective. I've found that change the subject from evangelicalism to respect has been useful to save my time and theirs. If the pressure keeps coming after that, I ask them if they believe in a God who forgives radical evil? If they say yes, I tell them that if God exist and accepts evil then justice is more important than God.  That last line usually ends the “church conversation” so we can talk about something important.

How do people react to you when you tell them you are an atheist or skeptical about God?
 
In general most people I have spoken to about where I stand in college didn't have any clue what I am talking about. It was as if it simply did not compute that atheism was an option. During my internship working as a community organizer in church’s most people don’t ask me where I stand.  At first I thought this was strange. I spoke to almost 200 church goers between several congregations. Most of my questions and challenges had a direct relationship with their relationship with their faith. A very small minority asked me where I went to church. I told them I infrequently attended a local Unitarian Universalist church. In general if I wanted to build power telling someone I am an atheist as an introduction is not a good way about building relationships. HAHA. I had a friend who used to introduce me to his friends and new women at bars as “Hey this is my friend, and he is an atheist.” As you may guess I didn't make too many friends with this wing-man.

What do you think people should know about atheists?

Two things. First, atheists are not scary. Secondly, atheists are not a cohesive group with a shared set of thoughts or values. 

No comments:

Post a Comment