Monday, January 13, 2014

Free-Thought Spotlight on EJ

Tell me about yourself?

I'm a smart, white dude in my early 30s.  I'm a computer programmer.
My interests include open source software (particularly Linux), video
games, hiking, and camping.  I tend to push the bounds of acceptable
normal behavior, constantly questioning authority and what is
generally considered right and wrong.  I'm also a privacy and civil
rights advocate.


Did you always know you were an atheist?  What was that process like?

I grew up in a house with young parents who were still trying to
figure out if there is a god.  My mom used to read me religious
children's stories which I accepted as historical fact.  As my parents
belief in god dwindled, so did mine.  As I evaluated the world around
me, I determined that many of the events in those children stories
were probably untrue.  When I was younger, my parents never told me
that there was not a god.  They let me come to that conclusion on my
own.

A big turning point was when I was told there was no Santa Clause.
Santa didn't make sense.  He was an exception to the laws of physics,
etc.  Finding out he was fake reaffirmed that there was nothing holy
outside of our visible world.


Did you grow up in a religious family? How did they take the news that
you think differently?


My immediate family is not very religious.  I didn't really think
differently than they did.

I should state that I am more open about being an atheist than my
parents.  My parents feel it is necessary to hide it.  I'm pretty much
completely open about it.


How do you think about the 'meaning of life? What are your personal and social values? 
How have they developed?

I don't think there is any meaning in the world.  Life is an anomaly
in the coldness of space.  It will eventually die off as if it never
happened.   While I do not like this belief, but is the reality that
is most evident to me.

I have strong moral values that probably formed because I had a
somewhat abusive father.  (This does not mean I at all condone abuse.)
 I rarely lie (even if it hurts me).  I'm a vegetarian because I think
it is wrong to kill life forms that desire to live.  I believe a good
citizen is an active citizen so I participate in congressional
petitions and sometimes even write or call them.

I can't really speak about the development of these values.  I have
always sort of been this way.  I guess I am better at being aware
about how my actions affect others.  This helps me to not
inadvertently infringe on my own moral values.


What do you think about religion?

I've attended enough church to appreciate the sense of community it
provides.  It can help people out through tough times, both
emotionally and financially.  It is a great community social
gathering.

The problem with religion is its inflexibility.  It has to stay
consistent with outdated values because to not do so would suggest
that God is imperfect and fallible.  In many cases it can be used to
justify extreme behavior such as killing other people or even war.


Has anyone tried to convert you? How did that make you feel? How did
you respond?


Sometimes I get bible thumpers at the door.  I'm usually polite and
chat with them for a minute but religion is not something that
interests me so I have to cut the conversation short.  I feel like
they are wasting my time.


How do people react to you when you tell them you are an atheist or
skeptical about God?


Most of the people I communicate with also do not believe in God or
are not very vocal about their belief in god.  In my social circle, it
is more rare to have a strong belief in religion.

I'm a Boy Scout leader and have hinted at my beliefs at scouting
events.  I've been told I'll be debating my core beliefs though my
whole life and that it is natural for people to believe that there is
greater meaning in the world.  I personally disagree with these
statements and have been pretty firm in my beliefs since I was about
15.


What do you think people should know about atheists?

We tend to be very smart and nice people.  For some reason (which
baffles even me), we tend to have a strong sense of morality.  The
basis for these morals is not clear.  Maybe morality is something that
is built into all of us?

Many of us are vegetarians or vegans.   We all have a personal list of
things we won't do because we feel this or that is wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment