Sunday, January 26, 2014

Free-Thought Spotlight On James

Tell me about yourself?

I'm 57 yo African American from New York City. I was raised Catholic from day one. During those days it was the best choice for education in the inner cities. 

Did you always know you were an atheist?  What was that process like?

My family became Catholic from Baptist so that I could attend school. Pops was a Baptist. I was very fortunate, my parents supported my interest in science and ancient history. Also, my elementary and HS taught the dogma of other religions without being critical. 

What do you think about religion?

That's a bit difficult. I'm what you might call a militant atheist. For the past 30 plus years I was an electronic tech, and I had strong interests in everything dealing with technology. I try to comprehend the draw in this modern age to fairy tales. My best guess is cognitive dissonance on a grand scale, which I find very dangerous. 

Has anyone tried to convert you? How did that make you feel? How did you respond?

I get a kick out of Jehovah Witness's trying to convert me. But the ask the same tired questions: how did we get here, do I think we came from nothing or apes...etc. I remind them of the children that died because of their beliefs. Also I bring up the sexual abuses that the Watchtower conceals, and ask how they can in good conscious promote that garbage. 

How do people react to you when you tell them you are an atheist or skeptical about God?

When people find out I'm atheist they without fail ask how can I know right from wrong and how can I not believe in god. I point out all the gods they don't believe in. When it comes to the bible the average atheist can run rings around so called Xtians. I find most don't even know the usual fairy tales or never gave thought about them. All that matters is the Sun morning work out. 

What do you think people should know about atheists?

People should know that the definition of atheist means, and stop asking us to explain all the elements in the universe. If they really wanted to know they could research like we do. But they ask not because they want answers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment